Need to make a last minute costume? This is a quick and super easy cape to make. Perfect for super heros, villains, vampires, witches, etc!
Materials: (change the color and material of fabric to fit your costume needs!)
- 1 yd red satin (1 1/2 yd for adults)
- 1 yd dark brown cotton (1 1/2 yd for adults)
- 2 yd red cord
- 4″ x 14″ heavy stabilizer (found at your local craft/fabric shop)
- Lay the fabric on top of each other, right sides together.
- Using the stabilizer, cut out the collar (mine was 4″ x 14″) like above, leaving an arch where it will rest on the shoulders.
- Center the collar on the fabric, width wise, about 1/2″ from top edge. Pin in place.
- Cut the fabric along the sides of collar and out to the edge of the fabric, leaving 1/2″ seam allowance, as seen above. Pin around the edges of cape.
- Pin the cord along the bottom edge of the collar. Now, tuck the cord between the two pieces of fabric, as seen in picture.
- Sew all around the edge of the cape, leaving 1/2″ seam allowance. Leave about 6″ unsewn on the bottom edge of the cape. Be sure not to sew over the loose cord. Only sew over the cord at the two points on either end of the collar.
- Turn the cape inside out. Press the edges of the cape including the 6″ of unsewn seam, making sure the edges are tucked under, then put one or two pins in that seam.
- Topstitch around the edges of the cape, this will secure the 6″ unsewn seam and provide more strength and structure.
Wa-la! Enjoy! I’d love to hear how yours turned out!